Whitnash Sports & Social Club
Bowls History


Whitnash Sports and Social Club was built between 1957 and 1959.     Between the Club and the playing field was a piece of land that before it was purchased for Whitnash Sports and Social Club housed a cycle track used by local youngsters.

The Secretary in 1961/2 was a Frank Waterston who decided that this was the perfect site for a bowls green. He ordered the work to be carried out by a company called En-Tout-Cas from Leicester and the cost of providing the green and surrounds came to approximately £1,500.     It was only after the green had been laid that the Club thought it might be a good idea to form a bowls section.

The first meeting was held at the New Hall in 1962 and was attended by nine potential members Alex Ibbotson, Rodney Smith, Ernie Owen, Ralph Taylor and Jack Yarwood from Heathcote Road. George Meredith from Whitnash Road, Eric Morris and his father 'Cock' Morris and Jack Wykes.     Alex Ibbotson was elected Chairman, Eric Morris Secretary and Ralph Taylor Treasurer.     Jack Wykes took on the task of groundsman.

In 1963 or shortly after the ranks of the section were added to by amongst others Bert Barnes from Landor Road, George Billington, Ted Perkins and Eric Davies from Franklin Road, Bill George from Halls Close moving later to Whitmore Road.     Ken Wilson from Heathcote Road, Vince and Ray Broughton from St Margaret's estate, Buster Pritchard, Eddie Tims, Bill Wilkinson, Bill Bush, Arthur Taylor, Tom Ballard, Ken Evans and after his cricketing/football days Jim Wright.

In order to raise money for the section, Bingo for prizes was held every week which attracted large crowds of Leamington as well as Whitnash residence.     From the profits the club purchased its first four sets of club woods and a 'Ransome' mower.

One of Whitnash's first matches was against the Warwickshire County Team which consisted of many of the county stars of the day whilst the Whitnash team was made up of totally new bowlers.     The green however was still bedding down and for the first few ends the locals used this to their advantage and to everyone's surprise took the lead after five ends of play. A surprise was not on the cards however as the County Team soon worked the green out and eventually ended up easy winners. The County Team however could not complete with the locals in the bar afterwards and from those early days until the breathalyzer Whitnash earned a reputation for out drinking the opposition.

Club Info | Events | Sections | Gallery | Links | Contact us | SiteMap |